Thursday, August 24, 2006

AFN-Korea.... doing it LIVE!!

Oh wow! Has the last few weeks been a blur. Change of command, getting housing, meeting all the great people who serve here, meeting old friends, Unit PT....it's awesome!

But tonight is a special treat. As you know, we here at AFNK (American Forces Network - Korea) normally do a nightly broadcast, but that broadcast is normally taped.

Tonight, for the first time in more than five years, we're doing it live! I'm watching the folks practice right now. I have a box on my desk that allows me to watch the various channels, listen to all the different detachments' radio programs, etc.

The sergeant major and I have arranged for pizza/drinks after the event tonight to celebrate. I sent out an "all hands" email today to tell everyone how proud I am of them..whether they are the budget folks or the broadcasters, they all had a part in making this great comeback for our network.

The reason we're going live is because that's what we're supposed to be doing in wartime: live TV and radio broadcasting. We've gotten away from the TV part of it because, well...because of a lot of reasons, but those don't matter now.

I couldn't be more proud of these guys.

I owe you all some pictures...

Mike

5 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all has gone well - reading news reports from Kim I'm really Ill Jong, it seems things could really get "exciting" soon.
Off topic - went and saw "Thunder on the Beach" airshow in AC, NJ - makes all of us thinking civilians proud of what y'all do for us. And from my wheelchair bound daughter, she is especially proud that you are protecting her, and from her father and mother, so are we! So to all of you - Thanks!

 
At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please post some pics and tell us how it went!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Sounds like fun! Can't wait to see the pics :-)

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir,

This is CPT Gardner. I just wanted to let you know that the troops down in the trenches are extremely disgruntled about the current NFL situation. I understand it is imperative to prevent piracy (which the Koreans are known worldwide for); however, it seems that these efforts are becoming more detrimental to morale than anything else, just as the CAC logon and increased network security has become detrimental to day-to-day garrison operations (off topic). I am somewhat inebriated now, so forgive me for the rambling nature of this comment.

Thank you.

MARK A. GARDNER
CPT, AD

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger kosovodad (Mike) said...

Mark,
gimme a call at 724-6497 ... I've been engaging the guys online at www.usfkforums.com but will be glad to do some more.

Seriously...call me.

MTL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home