Sunday, April 12, 2009

How I knew I would hate teaching.

I remember the day I said to myself, “there’s no way in hell I ever want to be a teacher”.

I had told my 9th grade Anatomy & Physiology teacher I was considering teaching. When I asked him about it; he mentioned it got easier as he went along.

He said something like, “You know, I’ve taught the same classes for 14 years. You could pick any day of the year, and I could teach that lesson from memory.”

I was horrified.

I couldn’t conceive of doing the same thing every day for 3 years, let alone 14.

It’s one of the reasons I love the Army… after about 2 years in a job, it’s time to move, but you take your seniority with you. After moving 12 times in 17 years, I have never had to worry about knowing the day’s lesson plan in advance.

Ironically though, I received an email the other day from a Soldier who thanked me for everything that he had learned while in my command.

It’s one of the things I love the most about being a leader in the Army: taking care of Soldiers.

And one of the ways we do that is of course:

The teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home