Monday, May 08, 2006

A few good updates.

I've updated the blogroll...check these folks out because they're a wealth of good information and very good at what they do.

Last week I attended the American Forces Radio and Television Service's worldwide conference. Events like this are really good for getting the masses jazzed about what we do. At least I know it works on me! I had the chance to sit next to Alison Barber during dinner (see my posts on "name dropping is such a vulgar thing". I have met very few people more dedicated to serving the men and women of the armed services than her. You know how you can just tell when people don't really have their heart in what they're doing? Well, you can definitely tell with her. Her heart is definitely all-in the America Supports You program. I've been really happy to see guys like Gary Sinise go out there and support the troops. Guys like that can't get enough credit. It'd be nice to see those hollywood types that say "I support the troops, but..." get out there and do the same. Although, given what I said about knowing when people's hearts are in it, it might not be such a good idea.

I had mentioned the 2006 mil blogging conference to her and gave her the names of some blogs to read. Who knows how that will turn out...

I also happened to pick up a copy of Dungeon Seige II, which has been a boatload of fun.

I also had the chance to meet some of the great people that I'll be working with when I get to the American Forces Network of Korea. It was a definitely a great opportunity to meet the team and I'm really excited. Although, as we all know, the best part of the deal is that the family is excited about the move as well. As we say in the military, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."
Amen!!

Just got an email from my branch rep...apparently my number has come up and I'll be getting promoted on 1 June. Yep, my field grade lobotomy is almost complete. Woo Hoo!! It's been a long strange trip since I was a Private First Class wwwaaayyy back in 1984...not to mention several career field changes, Military Police, Field Artillery, Military Intelligence, and now Public Affairs.

Ah yes, like every good military story..."no bulls#$%, there I was," >>cue the orchestra<<

No No No, there'll be no singing. None of that! Back on track...

Saturday I went on the Five Borough Bike Tour. Just me and 29,999 of my closest friends. $55 dollars for "day-of" registration and NO t-shirt, what the hell? Anyway, it was a good 39-42 mile bike ride (depending on whose odometer you're using) through--you guessed it--all five boroughs of New York. It was neat to ride over several of the bridges and down the BWE and the Belt Parkway, which were closed off.

I did have one spill however, when some dork cut a woman off and clipped her front tire causing her to crash right in front of me. Fortunately I avoided running over her, but fell down on the curb myself. Nothing worse than a few scrapes and bruises. The funny thing was watching people try to bike ride and use their cell phones at the same time. I'm sure that these are the same jerks that make auto driving worse for everyone as well. GET OFF THE PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION!!

The hardest part of the ride was probably crossing the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. This is a pretty long, two-story bridge. That means you go uphill for quite a long while and you're on the bottom level, which creates this giant wind tunnel effect. But the nice part is that this is definitely one of those "feels so good when it's over moments" when it's done. I got the pic here.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger kosovodad (Mike) said...

Yeah, I just got back from Korea and I'm off again. I'm glad you both offered your opinions on the PSAs/commercials that we do :) We're always looking for clear suggestions on how to make them better. Of course, "make them suck less" doesn't count as a "clear suggestion". I'll be in touch :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home